Wednesday, January 30, 2008

one step forward...three steps back

Have you ever had one of those mornings, where it feels like all of your efforts are just straight out the window (I know you know what I mean, Milissa!) I have been wandering around lately, all happy and content, thinking that everything is going pretty good. Our bills are payed, our house is warm and cozy, our truck is payed for....things were going pretty good! So I finally took an opportunity to spoil myself a little (I rarely spend money on myself...usually the boys or Tom get spoiled!!) So I went onto ebay, and bought myself some Coach stuff, and some lululemon clothing. I was happy! Tom was thrilled that I finally got to splurge a little. And with my trip coming up this weekend, everything seemed gravy.
Until this morning.....
Tom woke up this morning to a FREEZING house. The thermostat read a chilly 15 degrees. Why? I have the heat set at 21 for night-time...why so cold? Being 630am, Tom wasn't really thinking clearly. So he lovingly cranked the heat to a balmy 35 degrees, turned on the fireplace and came in to say good-bye. He told me it was chilly, but he had taken precautions to ensure that the three of us at home would be cozy when we woke up. Ya...if only that were true.
Jesse came into my room at 830 (2 hours after Tom had "warmed the house up for us") And he was upset that he was "so cold Mommy, so cold!!" So I let him into bed with me, and we cuddled under the warm feather filled comforter. Finally, he asked for juice, so it was up and out of bed for me. I shivered my ass off as I ran to the kitchen. The floor beneath my feet was like an ice rink. I got him his juice, and ran him into his room. I then proceeded to layer clothing on him like he was headed outdoors. Once he was all bundled up, I layed him in his bed, covered him with 2 blankets, and turned on his movie. He was comfy... Then I ran back to my room, ripped off my pajama shorts and tank top, threw on my trusty russell sweatpants, 2 shirts and a hoodie, and the thickest socks I have. Then into Zack's room....I did the same procedure with him, plus I had to give him some motrin, as he has a fever today (at least one of us was warm!).
After everyone was all cozied into their winter clothing, I checked the thermostat. Nice. 16 degrees, and now 3 hours since Tom turned it up. Something is wrong. So I called our neighbor (who also happens to be Tom's friend) and he came over, just as Tom was coming home from work. Apparently people get concerned when you tell them that you have no heat coming from your furnace, that your furnace has no pilot light lit, and it is -35 outside. Twiddle-dee and Twiddle-dum tried to get the pilot light lit for a good half hour. Finally the fan came on, and started blowing cold air into our already frigid house. "Sorry honey, I know you are handy and all....but we need some professional assistance now!" So I called the furnace repair people. Thankfully, the people who built our house installed a Lennox, so we were put to the top of the list, and the guys came right away (they work for a Lennox distributor) Apparently, our ignitor was broken. So, $80 for the call-out, and a nice $150 for the ignitor...and they were here for less time than Tom and Danny spent on it. So, $246 later, and my house is FINALLY warming up.
So let this be a lesson to you all.....just when you think you are safe, think again! Because you may end up spending a bunch of money on hoodies, and they may look nice, but unless they are in your possession, they won't keep you warm on the days that your furnace decides to pack it in!!!

1 comment:

Outnumbered said...

arghhh had a morning like that this morning yuck!!!! haha! Well I hope the weekend goes better!