Sunday, January 27, 2008

words to live by

I am a fan of poetry. I do not sit around and read books of it, and I would struggle to name off any famous writers in this area...but I will read it if it is in front of me, and enjoy it. I also have been known to write a poem or two.
This particular one, though, has always been a favorite of mine. It was like my mantra when I was still participating in competetive sports (I really miss those days!) So I thought I'd share...because they're good words to live by.

The Contest
The contest lasts for moments
Though the training's taken years
It wasn't the winning alone
That was worth the work and tears
The applause will be forgotten
The prize will be misplaced
But the long hard hours of practice
Will never be a waste
For in trying to win you build a skill
You learn that winning depends on will
You never grow by how much you win
You only grow by how much you put in
So any new challenge you've just begun
Put forth your best
And you've already won
-Anonymous

No comments: