Thursday, January 17, 2008

not so much

I believe that there is a time and place for everything. I also believe that this can be said for clothing and accessories. I think that some clothing, fads, and accessories should be age appropriate. Just as with most things, there are exceptions to the rule...But for the most part I think that the majority of the population falls in the "age appropriate" category.
What sparked this was a chance encounter with a person in this category, as my son and I were at the drugstore today. If my 2 year old son finds reason to stare and point, perhaps you should be rethinking your choice of "fashion". Let me paint you a picture....a late 40's woman with really poorly dyed, frizzy hair, with sunglasses used as a headband, wearing too tight skinny jeans and a really ugly leather jacket, and high heels that would make a hooker proud. She had on huge gold hoop earrings, and had really really long flashy finger nails. Every finger had a big clunky ring on it, and she was talking into a bedazzled bright pink RAZR. Ummm ya. Not exactly feeling her ensemble.
Little pink bedazzled cell phones are cute, on a 21 year old girl! Skinny jeans can be forgiven, if worn on someone who can pull it off.... All I am saying is, once you hit a certain age, things should be re-thought a little. I think it is more acceptable for a 20-something to get their tongue pierced or get a tattoo than a 38 or 40 year old. Just as I think it is more acceptable for a 40-something to wear huge clunky rings on every finger than a 23 year old. Ya, it is a society thing but also a personal opinion. And you are getting mine! 30-40 somethings should not wear club clothes. 20-somethings should not wear frumpy old lady sweaters or sneakers with velcro! (They have some nice "old lady" sweaters now...I buy one for my Grandma every year. But please, if it is embroidered with flowers and birdies, and has antique door knob buttons....leave it for your Grandma to wear!)
Picture a line drawn between certain generations....picture which side of that line you reside on....and please, dress accordingly. (or I may be making fun of you next time!)
*as a side note, I am in no way trying to prove myself as some fashionista...I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I do not claim to know anything about clothing, trends or "whats in season". I am just saying what I know everyone has thought of at one point or another.*

No comments: