Saturday, October 4, 2008

volleyball

I used to be very active. I played every sport that was available to me in school. I would start volleyball in September, play it through until basketball started in November, play that through until track and field started in April...and then play outdoors all summer long. Sports were not only something I played, but I also watched religiously. 
Long gone are those days, and now I am happy if I can get a few minutes of uninterrupted play time on my Wii Fit. I no longer watch sports on tv, or follow any of the teams like I used to. (except the last game at Yankee Stadium - I watched that, as it was the end of an incredible era) 
Last week a friend contacted me and asked me if I wanted to play Ladies League Volleyball with her. I jumped at the chance, as I still love volleyball even after all these years. Last night was my first game. I haven't played since I was just pregnant with my youngest (and he turned 3 in June!) I wasn't too concerned with knee pads, as I didn't think I would be "with it" enough to be digging for balls, anyways. 
Mistake 1 - don't listen to your gut... listen to the pleading your knees are doing with you!! 
I dug, I dove, I put my poor 27 year old knees through hell last night! (keep in mind, I was told at 14 that my knees would need to be replaced by the time I was 30, if I kept playing the way I did) It was instinct! You see a ball, noone else is going for it, you dive! I knew I did a no-no when I could hear the flesh on my knees burning off onto the glossy wood floor of the gym. Whoops!!! 
That wasn't my only mistake last night... 
Mistake 2 - don't wear an everyday bra when you are playing sports... if nothing else, sports bras have more coverage in the chance of an exposure. 
Ya, I blocked the ball (which is quite the feat when you are "vertically challenged" as I am!) and as I was coming down, I realized that the thing on my face was in fact my own t-shirt. I swore rather loud, and pulled my shirt down. Much to my dismay, it had been up over my nose, and my right breast, adorned in my pretty black CK bra, was full-on exposed. Much to MY dismay, but I am fairly certain that the ref was gay, so perhaps she enjoyed it! 
Mistake 3 - don't wear a short shirt when you have intentions of jumping at the net with your arms up over your head!!
My stretch-marked GUT was flopping about last night, excited to be exposed to fresh air. I was not so thrilled that it was out in the open... I work VERY hard to keep that nastiness under wraps!! But such is life... 
I dove, I dug, I blocked and exposed myself, I served 8 points in a row, I set many successful balls, I hit a few shots over the net, I ran, I dripped with sweat, I ravaged my knees, and I can't remember the last time I've had that much fun :) 
Hello volleyball; I am Jennie... Remember me?

1 comment:

Outnumbered said...

I think I just peed myself laughing so hard... miss you!