Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween

I don't see the necessity in halloween... dress up and gather candy? Why? Who figured it would be a good idea to dress small children up in overly expensive ensembles and parade them around in the cold, at night, to strangers front doors? Any other day of the year we yell at our kids to 'not take candy from strangers... don't wear that mask, you won't be able to see where you are walking!... don't walk around in the dark... don't go to the neighbors unless you are invited... etc' So I can understand why it would be confusing to the kids to do this... but just this one night! It makes no sense to me... 
 Not to mention all of the morons that take it upon themselves to destroy things for no apparent reason. I mean yes, there are morons everywhere, and they will forever do what they can to ruin other peoples days... but why is it so important to make a big splash on this particular day? Is there some rule that states that on October 31st, you MUST be as stupid, irresponsible and thoughtless as is humanly possible? Stuff gets destroyed, kids get injured, things are stolen, lives are taken, and it makes no freaking sense to me. It is just another day, stuck in the midst of 364 others just like it. (but then I have some serious feelings about Valentines Day also... but that is another rant) 
People also decorate for Halloween, which I don't get. Why doesn't anyone go all ape-sh*t and decorate for Canada Day, or Labor Day (OMG, imagine the decorations that would be put up for that! yikes...) People's lawns are strewn with fake tomb stones and fake mummies. Their railings are strung with lights, spiders and cob webs (things we try to avoid every other day of the year... guess it gives unclean people the upper hand this time of the year! lol) There are hacked up pumpkins layed around with lit candles in them which is clearly a fire hazard any other day of the year, but is completely expected and condoned on this day.  
And the horror movies? WHY!?!!? Who could ever enjoy sitting there watching people get slashed to bits? Laughing burns calories and creates an overall good feeling? Why would anyone watch anything that doesn't make them giggle? SEE! I am clearly perplexed!!
People wear "masks" everyday. They pretend to be someone they aren't just to get through their days. So for them, maybe this time of the year is a nice break. I, personally, am the very same person 365 days a year. I am not a big candy eater, I don't see the point in dressing up, nor do I like the idea of my kids roaming the streets dressed like turtles, fetching candy from people I don't know, with all of those crazy morons running amok. But I guess right now, to my boys, this is just a chance to get a bunch of candy and dress like turtles. To them it is fun. But me in my cynical opinion, this is all unnecessary and superfluous. 

No comments: