Tuesday, October 21, 2008

dreams

Everyone has dreams. When I was a kid, I wanted to be either a lawyer or a plastic surgeon. I loved the idea of arguing for a living (guess I would have been a litigator) or sucking fat out of people. (I know, strange, right!) Other than the crazy, uber expensive and hideously lengthly educations that would be required for those to be a part of my life, there have been 2 constants. 1. I dreamt of running in the Olympics. And you know what? I actually had the chance at one point in my life. Unfortunately, laziness got the better of me, and I let that part of my life pass me by. 2. I wanted to be a writer! I always dreamt of seeing my name in print on the front of a novel. I dreamt of holding a manuscript in my hands, and typing out the perfect dedication. That is something I still would like to accomplish, but I don't know if I have it in me. 
Writing is very personal. It is like exposing part of your soul onto paper. It opens up your mind and lets other people into your world. 
Running in the Olympics is also very personal. It is also exposing your soul, but it is in front of millions of people. It may only be a few seconds, but it will last forever. Only lasting 11 seconds per heat, plus also the finals (granted I even made it), but played forever in your mind, and the minds of craploads of friends, family and strangers. 
Both of those things are incredibly personal, and scary. Accomplishing them would make me feel on top of the world. But for now, they are safely tucked away in the corners of my mind... cuz after all, that is where dreams live, right?

1 comment:

Milissa said...

Perhaps dreams live wherever we allow them to. I would have to say you've manifested alot of things that used to live in the corner or your mind. If you're inspired you should act on it.

Been reading a blog I think you might like to take a peek at. She's a mom that used to be overweight but has accomplished so many things and conquered alot, I find her really inspirational while still being real.
http://fitncrafty.blogspot.com/2008/10/believe-in-yourself.html