Friday, October 24, 2008

Flashback

Have you ever noticed how one memory can start a domino effect? I have been living such an effect for the last few weeks. 
It was Thanksgiving, and we decided that it might be fun to do an 80's movie marathon while we ate our dinner. So I went into my basement, and dug out all of my 80's movies. I brought them all upstairs and lined them up by my tv in a very nice display. I am rather proud of my collection - there are a lot of good movies there! 
My family came over for dinner, and started looking at them. And then it happened. My brothers and I started talking about the movies. They were amazed at some of the ones I had. Some of them, they had forgotten about. We started reminiscing about the times we remembered watching them. We laughed at how lame they all seemed now, but how much we loved them back then. 
We didn't have a lot of money when we were growing up, so we relied heavily on movies (and music) for our entertainment. We watched movies as a family on a regular basis. So when we started talking about the old ones I had, memories started drudging up. My youngest brother got so excited to see one of them, he actually brought his dinner downstairs and watched it all by himself. 
We grew attachments to these characters, movies and actors. We have very specific sentimental value to Corey Haim, Corey Feldman, Tom Hanks, Shelley Long, Kurt Russell, Martin Short, Chevy Chase, Dan Akroyd, John Candy, Steve Martin, etc. We don't just see them as old movies; we see them as part of our history.
So I've spent 2 weeks watching old movies, thinking about growing  up, and all of the stuff that has happened to shape my life.  I sat and watched the movies I know are dorky, but still hold close to my heart.  My family may be growing up, and getting farther apart each year, but no matter what happens I know that when I put in one of these movies, I will sit in my living room and laugh. And although I may be the only one actually there, my sister, brothers and my Mom will be right there beside me, laughing along in spirit. And that will keep a smile on my face and a warmth in my heart that only those people, and these flashbacks, can bring. 

No comments: