Thursday, February 14, 2008

valentines day

I know there are some girls who say that valentines day is ridiculous, in trying to seem like the "cool girlfriend/wife", but secretly they want all the hollaballoo. I am not such a girl. I honestly, and whole heartedly, believe that this day is a manufactured fabrication thought up by rich people who don't really need to make more money, but they want to, designed to help those in the world who need vindication or assistance in getting a date, getting laid, getting forgivness, getting a free pass, etc. It is over-commercialized and unneccessary, and yet people fall prey to its clutches each and every year.
I told my husband, years ago, that I would punch him if he ever bought me flowers or chocolate on valentines day. The prices are inflated, and it just seems so cliche. I would like to know he loves me, and thought of doing something nice for me. I want to know he did it because he loves me, not because it was expected of him because way back in some far off land, someone decided that February 14th was a good day to make people world-wide buy crap for one another.
I am not saying that I will look down on anyone for celebrating this day. To each his own. Nor will I poke fun at anyone who believes in the sanctity of this day. I merely don't believe in it, or what it stands for. People should know you love them, and they love you, every day of the year.
If people need a certain day to spoil their loved ones, and show them they care, then fine. But for me, my husband coming home with a nice bouquet of flowers, just because, is far sweeter than doing it because it's valentines day.
But that's just my opinion.......

No comments: