Monday, June 8, 2009

In the blink of an eye

So yeah, the last time I was regaling you with the goings-on of my world, I was sick in bed. I puked, I fainted, I wanted to die. Little did I know that just 10 days later, my entire world as I knew it would change forever. 

I am writing this now because I have finally had time to wrap my head around it, and although I have not accepted it as fact yet, I realize that it is reality. (try to figure that one out, and you'll know where my head has been for a month and a half) 

My Grandma, Rita Campbell, peacefully left the earth on April 18, 2009. She suffered a rare, but massive, heart attack while making tea and watching Murder She Wrote in her home. My Grandma was an amazing woman; one I aspire to emulate as the years pass me by. She was warm and caring, compassionate and giving, passionate and thoughtful, and one of the most amazing people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Most people know their grandparents, but never really "know" them. I, however, had the privilege of actually knowing my Grandma. 

For as far back as I can remember, she has been there. We always lived close enough for us to see her regularly, if she wasn't living with us. She lived with us for many years, and was always there for the major stuff in our lives. I had the joy of living with her for my senior year of high school. If I could do it again, I would have spent much more time with her in our home, and much less time out being a 16 year old girl. But alas, hind-sight is 20/20. Now all I can do is remember the times we spent together in our 2 bedroom apartment, watching the news and eating pizza and salad. 

That wouldn't be the last time I lived with her though, as she had a house just down the driveway from my family after I graduated. We lived that way until I moved out of my Mom's house, and into my own when I was 20. Despite the distance between us, we remained close, as she did with my whole family. 

She was there the day I got married, met my oldest son when he was only 2 weeks old, and was there with open arms the day we moved back to the city where my whole family lived. She was there the day I had my second son, and spent several hours in the hospital with me before I went home with him. She was there every morning I called her, crying because I had no sleep and my oldest was already awake. She was there the day I moved away, and visited me while we spent a year in Edmonton. She was there the day I moved back, expressing her approval for my new home. She was there for almost every single Christmas, birthday, anniversary, family get-together... among other things. Not only that, I saw her several times a week, and talked to her almost every day. 

So yes, I was incredibly close with her. And although that is making this so much harder to get through, I wouldn't change it for the world. Because I may miss her, and it breaks my heart every time I think of never seeing her again, I have so many memories to keep me smiling for the rest of my life... 

Good-bye Grandma. I will love and miss you forever. xoxo

No comments: